Colon cleansing practices date back to ancient Greece and Egypt. The practices continue today, but now consumers can choose more sophisticated methods such as colon hydrotherapy.
Care4Colon is a colon hydrotherapy center located in Florida. It’s just one of the many places consumers can go for all their colon cleansing needs. But is Care4Colon the best option?
When I searched for “Care4Colon,” the first result was a link to the company’s Better Business Bureau listing.
The listing was opened in December 2012, but BBB doesn’t know when Care4Colon was started. In fact, BBB gives Care4Colon a C rating because it couldn’t find enough information about the company.
I ran into the same problem — there is almost no information about Care4Colon online. All I know is the company performs colon hydrotherapy and this is their contact information:
• Address: 8004 NW 154 St. #585, Miami Lakes, FL 33016
• Phone: 855.254.7812
There was a complaint about Care4Colon on BBB.org, but I couldn’t read the details. It falls under the “Advertising/Sales Issues” category. Care4Colon contacted the customer and resolved the complaint.
What to Expect During a Visit
Every colon hydrotherapy center is different, but here’s what a typical visit involves: First, the patient meets with the colon therapist for a 15-20 minute consultation. After the consultation, colon hydrotherapy begins.
The patient lies on one side on a table and a small tube is inserted into the rectum. The tube is attached to a machine, which pushes fluid into the colon. Fluid temperature and pressure may be adjusted for comfort. Patients usually get to choose from the following fluids:
• Water with baking soda, enzymes, or probiotics
• Herbal teas
When the fluid enters the colon, it frees waste and toxins from the colon lining. A second tube is then used to remove fluid, waste, and toxins from the colon. The whole procedure may be repeated if necessary. A typical visit lasts an hour.
What to Do After the Procedure
Colon hydrotherapy cleanses the colon and relieves constipation, but also removes the colon’s lining. It takes about 24 hours for this protective lining to build back up. During this time, there are a few important tips to follow:
1. Eat plenty of fiber. Fiber adds bulk to stools and allows them hold moisture. This helps stools pass through the colon without causing damage and with less effort. Plus, fiber keeps the colon clean by gently scraping toxins and waste from the walls. Fruits and vegetables are excellent sources of fiber.
2. Limit your fat intake. Fat slows down digestion, which may increase the risk for constipation.
3. Drink lots of fluid. Not only does water cleanse the colon, it combines with fiber to make stools softer and larger. Teas contain nutrients, vitamins, and substances that improve digestive function.
4. Do not drink alcohol. After colon hydrotherapy, the colon is more absorptive because it’s clean. If you drink alcohol, the body will absorb much more than it usually does, which may be toxic.
Benefits of Colon Hydrotherapy
Drinking water, eating healthy food, and exercising regularly are natural ways to cleanse the colon. Colon hydrotherapy is a little more invasive, but it also has several benefits.
• Gently scrubs the colon
• Removes toxins that contribute to poor health and disease
• Eliminates waste that causes constipation and blocks nutrient absorption
• Is more effective than an enema
• Is safe when performed properly
If colon hydrotherapy isn’t done by an expert colon therapist, the risk for problems is higher. For example, tearing and bleeding of the colon may occur. This is more likely to happen if the patient has an unhealthy colon.
Colon hydrotherapy could remove nutrients, probiotics and the colon’s protective lining; as well as waste and toxins. This may disrupt colon function, cause bacterial imbalance and dehydration, and make the colon more susceptible to harmful bacteria.
Having a licensed colon therapist perform the procedure is the best way to prevent complications and side effects.
Final Say on Care4Colon
If you’re interested in colon hydrotherapy, I recommend visiting an experienced, licensed colon therapist. This is the best way to ensure colon hydrotherapy will be safe and beneficial.
Care4Colon may be a great place to go for colon hydrotherapy — if you live by Miami Lakes, Florida. But I suggest learning more about the company before paying them a visit. For example: do they employ a licensed colon therapist?
It’s also a good idea to consider your other options — perhaps you’ll find a business that provides more information and has better reviews. Or you can opt for a more natural colon cleansing supplement. These are usually a lot more affordable than colon hydrotherapy, which costs up to $95 per session.